Sustainable Development Goals – Connecting the Global to the Local
The Sustainable Development Goals in action
The while each of the 17 SDGs has a specific aim and outlook, the fact that there is significant overlap between the goals when individual issues are examined should not be ignored. For example, The Burrell Shop exists to provide affordable food to people in Thetford, clearly fitting in with Goal 2: ‘Zero Hunger’. But it also addresses several other Goals:
Goal 1 – No poverty
Burrell Shop members have the opportunity to access a range of poverty-fighting services, such as fuel vouchers and free food. They can also be put in touch with other local organisations, such as the Citizen’s Advice Bureau, who can help provide solutions to difficulties members may be facing.
Goal 3 – Good Health and Well-being
The shop advises members on healthy eating and provides healthy choices to people.
Goal 8 – Decent work and economic growth
Two members of staff were employed at the shop as part of the Kickstart scheme to get young people into employment.
Goal 10 – Reduced inequalities
The shop helps to promote social and economic inclusion for all through the equitable provision of food.
Goal 11 – Sustainable Cities and Communities
The shop addresses the lack of affordable food outlets and the restrictive range of healthy choices available within their community. It makes the community more resilient, secure and sustainable.
Goal 12 – Responsible Consumption and Production
Members of the Burrell Shop are provided with food that is sourced sustainably and responsibly, lowering ecological impact. Local farmers and companies donate surplus produce that would otherwise go uneaten.
The 2030 Agenda
As a community foundation, we will aim to:
- innovate and set an example for working towards the SDGs
- set the tone and direction of the SDGs in Norfolk’s third sector, and act as a catalyst to achieving the goals in our county
- embed the SDGs into our missions and strategies
- approach the SDGs in a way uniquely tailored to the needs of our local communities
- align our grant-making with the SDGs
- convene conversations with donors and community groups to discuss approaches to tackling the SDGs
- utilise the SDGs to ensure that our investments align with the activities