Breckland Outdoor Sport and Play Fund
This fund has now closed. Decisions on applications are expected in April 2017.
Breckland District Council has established the above fund to support the provision of outdoor playing spaces in its area. The available funds are generated from open space contributions collected under policy DC11 of the Adopted Core Strategy, which requires all new housing developments to make a contribution towards children’s play and outdoor sport which is to be spent either in the parish or a nearby parish. Following a first round of funding in 2016 around £114,297 remains available (play £17,776 and sport £96,521) in specific areas of the District (see below).
The Fund is open to parish and town councils, constituted community groups and charities. The purpose of the fund is to increase the provision of outdoor facilities that the public have access to.
The Fund will consider applications that:
- Provide or enhance children’s play areas;
- Provide or enhance outdoor sports provision (e.g. multi-use games areas, outdoor fitness equipment, sports pitches, tennis courts, bowling greens, sports pavilions/changing facilities or parking related to the provision of eligible facilities).
- The organisation applying for funding must own or have a long lease on the site of the planned facility.
- The project should ideally be in a position to proceed quickly if funding is confirmed from this fund. Consequently projects where all necessary permissions are in place and any other necessary funding is secured will be more likely to receive support.
- Consultation should have been carried out with people to establish the need for the project and to have informed the detail of the work to be done.
- As funding is available in defined areas within Breckland (see below), potential applicants are encouraged to consult with other local organisations to minimise the number of competing bids from an area.
- If you are applying for a project that has both sport and play elements within it you can make a single application to access both pots of money. If however you wish to apply for both sport and play funding for different projects (e.g. on different sites) you should complete two application forms.
- While match funding is not a requirement for this fund, some level of in-kind or cash contribution to the project is welcomed.
- Applicants to this fund may also apply to other Breckland Council funding pots for the same project if further funds are needed.
- Previous applicants may re-apply if there are still funds available in their area.
- The decision making process will include consultation with Breckland Council ward members and so you are advised to make your local members aware of your application and ask them to contact Norfolk Community Foundation to give their support. Find your Breckland Councillor here
What funding is available?
Application process and timescale
- Before starting an application you may wish to discuss your project with Clive Rayner at Norfolk Community Foundation (contact details below).
- Check that there are funds available in your area (see above). Applications from areas where there is no funding available will be rejected immediately.
- The Fund has an online application process. If you have any problems at all using the system please contact the Grants Team for support.
- If you are using an old version of eg. Internet Explorer you may find it helpful to download a copy of Google Chrome to ensure you have the best experience – this browser is free to download here http://www.google.com/chrome/
The link to the application form has been removed as the deadline has passed
Completed applications plus all required supporting information must reach us by 5pm on 1 March 2017. We expect decisions to be made during April 2017.
Funding awarded to date:
For a list of successful applicants to this fund during 2016 click on the following link List of awards 2016
If you have any questions on this Fund please contact Clive Rayner, Grants Officer by email firstname.lastname@example.org or tel 01603 623958.