The Bishop’s Gardens were open for the first of a number of charity fundraisers this year on Sunday 11 May.
Staff, trustees and supporters of the Foundation were delighted to welcome visitors to the gardens and raised £1,000 for a range of causes across Norfolk through the sale of entry tickets and cake and refreshments. Younger visitors enjoyed a nature trail and all were entertained by a group of stiltwalkers who had been in receipt of a small grant from the Foundation.
The garden is a historic private four acre formal city centre garden that has belonged to the Bishops of Norwich for over 900 years. It has many hidden delights for visitors and the garden continues to evolve with new plants and features being introduced year by year. There are large traditional herbaceous borders, a small woodland walk, boxed rose beds, a long shade border with hostas, meconopsis and tree ferns. Also a large wild grass labyrinth, extensive shrubberies containing rare and unusual plants, including a Hebe planted from a sprig taken from Queen Victoria’s wedding bouquet in 1840.
To visit the gardens, click on the link to see a list of dates that they are open to the public.